Last week I shared a new recipe I had discovered and really enjoyed: Orange Juice Coffee Cake. Because we had enjoyed it so very very much I wanted to make it again. A friend was visiting us from the US and she cannot usually eat dairy so I adapted the recipe to be dairy free. It is really no different but we preferred this version so I thought I would share.
It is lighter and even more orangey!
Orange Juice Coffee Cake: Dairy Free
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- zest of one orange or 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C) and grease a loaf pan or 12 muffin tin
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together oil and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Whisk in egg, orange juice, and zest until fully combined.
- Gently stir in dry ingredients. Careful not to over mix.
- Pour into greased loaf pan/muffin tin. Fill muffins 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Muffins will be done. Cover loaf pan so as not to burn the top and bake for 15 minutes more.