This is a recipe I have wanted to try for quite some time. The original can be found here. I thought today would be the perfect day. I was not disappointed! Fortunately a friend came over to help me eat it 😉 It is definitely a cake for the over 21 crowd, as there is still alcohol left after you bake it 😀
Chocolate Port Cake
- 8 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup port
- 2tsp vanilla
- 1 – 1 1/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- In a bowl combine 1 cup of the flour with the dry ingredients
- Cream together the butter and sugars
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Gradually add in the wine and vanilla
- Stir in the dry ingredients. If the batter is too wet add a bit of the extra flour. I did not have to add any.
- Spoon into a buttered loaf pan
- Bake @350 for 60 minutes. The cake was done in 45 minutes in my oven, so keep an eye on it. It can dry out if over baked.