Last night I just needed a pick-me-up that was fruity and sweet but not a baked good. So I looked around and decided a nice lemony apple sauce was the way to go! I try to remember what my Aunt Dot’s apple sauce tasted like and that is what I tried to replicate. 30 minutes later I was curled up in front of the Sport Relief Bake Off eating this tasty Rustic Apple Sauce. I call it rustic because I was too lazy to peel the apples :p It turned out beautifully!
Rustic Apple Sauce
- 3-4 small Braeburn apples (mine were tiny, like lunch box size)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs Golden Syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cut apples into chucks and toss into a pot on medium heat. Add in lemon juice and simmer. Once apple juices begin to collect, about 5 minutes, add in golden syrup and cinnamon.
- Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Mash with a potato masher and serve.