This is a great cake for anytime! It is a cross between a soufflé/cake and custard. Delicious and easy. With one batter this cake bakes into three layers : thin crust, custard, and soufflé like top. I came across this recipe on Kitchen Nostalgia and there are many variations. We like the vanilla the best so far because it is such a good base for fruits to be piled on top. Mmm…. But you can make lemon and chocolate ones easily.
- 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 tbs water
- ½ cup + 2 tbs sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- ¾ cup flour
- 1½ cups + 3 tbs milk, lukewarm
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with water, sugar and vanilla until light. Add melted butter and beat for another minute. Add the flour and mix it in.
- Then add the lukewarm milk (if it is not lukewarm, the butter will harden).
- Using a spatula, gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour the batter in paper-lined cupcake pan, filling right to rim. Bake in preheated 325 F oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Cool for at least 3 hours before serving. Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.
To make Lemon: beat egg whites with 1 tbs lemon juice. And add 2 lemons (about 1/3 cup juice and zest) with the milk. Its that easy!
For Chocolate: add ½ cup cocoa prior to folding in the egg whites.