This is one of the first things I learned to make when John and I first dated. I used to make it once a week during our first year of marriage and we never got tired of it. This is a tried and true recipe that has served us well over the last 3 years. Last week we were both craving Shepherds Pie. I hadn’t made it since we moved here in September. Oh, it was the most scrumptious thing we had eaten in a while.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 5-6 small potatoes
- 2 tbs salted butter
- 1 1/2 -2 cups frozen peas
- 3 carrots, diced
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- Peel and boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and mash potatoes with the butter. Set aside.
- Brown the ground meat and drain and rinse the fat. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Saute peas and carrots with a little olive oil and salt. Set a side.
- Grease a pan ( I have used anywhere from an 8×8 pan to a 9×11. It all works,) and spread 2/3 of the mashed potato evenly over the bottom of the pan. Layer beef and veggies and finish with the last 1/3 of the potatoes. Top with shredded cheese and bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until cheese is golden.