In case you haven’t noticed, we eat a bunch of chicken in this house. When I started this series I really wasn’t sure what I was going to fix every day. I used to plan every meal for the whole week and then grocery shop for everything all at once. But here in England our refrigerator is tiny and I have time to grocery shop every day. Because of that, I am just posting what I was in the mood for that day. Haha So I guess I am in a chicken mood.
Fortunately my sweetie likes chicken too, so we are amicable :p A couple nights ago I was in the mood for a stew or soup of some sort. Sweetie is not fond of broth so it cuts out a lot of dishes that he could have allergy free. However, I rose above this 😉 and made an family recipe of Chicken and Dumplings that suits my wish for soup and his wish for no soup 🙂 Success.
This is really a cheat meal because it has dairy and gluten together in one big ol’ pot. But as the chicken broth was boiled from the bones of a free range chicken, and the chicken was baked and shredded in my kitchen, and the dumplings are homemade, why not cheat? Its worth while.
One Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Mrs. Kearin’s Roast Chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth
- pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup flour (plus some for rolling)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbs milk
- 1 tbs butter, softened
- In a large pot, mix the chicken, chicken broth, salt and pepper and bring to a rolling boil. While broth is coming to a boil make dumplings.
- To make dumplings: mix together dry ingredients, cut in butter and then add wet ingredients one at a time. Mix thoroughly and turn out onto a generously floured surface. Sprinkle a little four on top and pat down into an 8×11″ rectangle. The dough should be about 3/4″ thick. Slice dumpling dough into 1×3″ pieces.
- When broth is boiling, strain out the chicken and set aside. Slowly drop the dumplings, one by one into the boiling broth. Bring to a simmer and cover for 5 mins. Add back in the chicken. Cover again and let simmer 7-10 mins until all dumplings float.