Another aspect of having Everything in Moderation, is leftovers. How can you get the squeek out of the pig, as they day. It is an odd thing. We love eating and we really like pretty much everything I fix… but only a few things are good the second day (except this recipe below :D). Because of this, when I cook a largish meal that makes more food than we eat, I try to find a way to make another meal out of it instead of serving “leftovers”.
Last night was a 1.5 kg (3 lbs) chicken which two people just cannot finish. So after dinner I took all of the chicken off the bones and boiled the bones to make delicious broth! (There will be Chicken and Dumplings in the near future.) Tonight we will be having Extremely Simple Chicken and Rice. Perfect for leftover chicken and very tasty on a coolish night.
This recipe is gluten free and has very little dairy. It could easily be completely dairy free if you replace the 2 oz Cream Cheese with Daiya. Although I have not tried this particular product, I have some friends who have and seem to enjoy it. It does not temp allergies and it is very filling and delicious.
Extremely Simple Chicken and Rice
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups Mrs Kearin’s Roast Chicken, shredded
- 2 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- In a medium size pot, boil rice on medium-high until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Turn down heat to low-medium and add chicken, pepper and salt to the pot. Let sit until chicken is heated then add in cream cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Stir and let simmer for 5-7 mins. Then serve with vegetable of choice. We love broccoli in this house. The night pictured below I also served pan fried halloumi with our dinner. It was not necessary but it was tasty.