This is a salad that I grew up eating at my grandmother’s house. It was the most refreshing thing and even as a kid I liked the onion!
This is a slightly different version than Grandmother made. It has the kick of the hot sauce in the dressing, which to me sends this recipe over the top. 🙂 I minced the onion instead of just slicing it. I like the texture better.
I made this salad for the fist time yesterday for our Labor Day Cookout. It was a hit!
Watermelon Feta and Mint Salad
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 ground pepper
- 1 tsp Mango Scotch Pepper hot sauce, or Tabasco
- One 8 pound seedless watermelon, cut into 1 1/2 in pieces (around 10 cups), chilled
- 2 cups Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small red onion, chopped or minced
- Mint to garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- Add Watermelon, feta, and onion.
- Toss gently
- Garnish with mint and serve
It seems like both forever ago and yesterday since I wrote on this blog. It has been an eventful 11 months for the Kearins. I will write more about everything in a little while. Here are the HIGHLIGHTS:
- I got to start teaching voice lessons again and absolutely love it. 🙂 It is so nice to get to work with kids again! I learn so much from them.
- John got a job singing in a Cathedral in Houston. It is exactly what he went to school in York to do and he got the job after only three weeks of being back in the states!
- We bought a car! A little blue 2016 Ford Fiesta and named her Violet.
- We bought a house! It is the best house in the world and we have had so much fun redoing little things here and there in OUR house!!!
- I got to sing two of my dream rolls (La Contessa d’Almaviva and Micaela) in Arkansas at Opera in the Ozarks.
Susanna, Figaro, and Countess
The beautiful place I got to sing
Lake Leatherwood where I got the closest thing I’ve ever had to a tan.
- We bought another new car! This time a white 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback named Lucy 🙂
- And today I am writing you during tropical storm Harvey. We are not flooding yet, but there are still days of rain in the forecast.
It is always an adventure!
Now that life has settled into a sort of rhythm, I am excited to get back to blogging. I might be revamping the blog a little to fit into our new life in Spring, Texas. 🙂
Ep 16: In the shadow of the Rose Window, Notre Dame, Ile Saint Louis
Ep 15: Ile aux Cygnes, Paris, France
Ep 14: Under the tower, Paris, France
Ep 13: Gardens of Versailles, Versailles, France
Ep 12: Serenity
Old High Church, Inverness, Scotland